“The best leaders are the servants of all. It is not about the prestige of what you do or the power that may come along with it. It is about the influence you have to accomplish good in the areas where you serve.
When your heart is motivated by the right things, you have the power to influence in a positive way. If your motivation is for self-glory, you will struggle to find acceptance and support.
Embracing humility in leadership is the key to using your power and influence successfully. Others will see you in one of two ways; they will see you as sincere and capable, someone who they can get behind and support. Or, they may see you as heartless, egotistical, or in it only for personal gain. How others see you impacts the ability you have to be successful and utilize influence in your position.
You have the ability to be a leader, even if you are not in a leadership role as defined by world standards. Your self-view defines how you contribute in your role. If you are one who serves others or one who leads others, you are both serving and have the capacity to lead through influence.
When your motivation is for the good of all, you will achieve the respect of others, the support of others, and your environment will thrive. Lead with humility so that by your ability to influence, success will come to all.”
- Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.” Mark 9:35
- The greatest among you will be your servant. Matthew 23:11
- Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others. Philippians 2: 3, 4
- When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2
- Humility is the fear of the Lord; its wages are riches and honor and life. Proverbs 22:4
- Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 1 Peter: 4:10