“Sometimes the word obedience causes you to bristle. It may remind you of times when you were young and your parents told you what to do and expected you to do it without question. It felt like you were having to give up your will and what you wanted for what they wanted. Oh, the curse of being a child who has to deal with the requirements of their parents!
Obedience to me and to my purposes for your life is something you choose to do, rather than a requirement. It doesn’t mean that you don’t ever get to enjoy doing things you want to do, or having some of the pleasures that this life provides. However, it does mean that you are willing to submit to my plans and purposes for your life. You make the choice to obey because you believe and trust that I know what’s best for you. Obedience is birthed by your faith in me. It should be seen as the path to ultimate blessing, rather than a curse of relationship.
When you received me, you became a follower, a believer who accepted a new life through Christ, my Son. By living a life of sacrifice for me and for my glory as He did, the blessings of obedience become yours. Jesus was obedient unto death and now He has received the blessing of eternity, the same blessing that is being held for you.”
- Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in obedience to him. Psalms 128:1
- During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered. Hebrews 5: 7,8
- And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life. 1 Kings 3:14
- And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love. 2 John 1:6
- Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey–whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? Romans 6:16
- …but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith— Romans 16:26
- And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death–even death on a cross! Philippians 2:8